Salt Lake City, UT
Competitive salary dependent on qualifications
Wildlands Network is looking for an experienced manager and innovative leader to guide a development team, create strategies and implement actions to meet a $2+ million budget, and raise the profile of the organization to achieve its mission.
This Salt Lake Cit-based position will build and lead a team that includes a major gifts lead and a development assistant. The Development Director also maintains regular coordination with executive leadership, communications staff and conservation program leaders to ensure consistent and effective operations across the organization.
The objective of this position is to lead a team in developing, coordinating and implementing a full suite of development strategies to raise the annual budget and enhance the reputation and brand of Wildlands Network. We seek innovation and adaptation in a rapidly changing sector. Current means for achieving the objective include but needn’t be constrained to:
- Develop and implement membership strategies for donor recruitment and stewardship through strategic use of direct mail, email campaigns, social media, events, emerging technology, etc.;
- Lead and oversee the work of Major Gifts Officer, Development Associate, executive leadership, and Board of Directors to achieve major gifts program goals;
- Coordinate core fundraising strategies (e.g., giving clubs, special appeals) and special events (e.g., annual auction, cultivation events, giving campaigns);
- Coordinate with Communications Director regarding supporter communications, and fundraising opportunities tied to breaking news or program milestones;and
- Manage and expand our planned giving program
- Supervise and direct employee responsible for grant research and writing. Work with employee to manage a tracking system to synchronize the broader team in meeting proposal and reporting deadlines, and coordinate with program and accounting staff to ensure funds management complies with grant terms;
- Support the cultivation of new foundation, agency and other grant funding prospects.
- Serve on Wildlands Network’s senior leadership team and provide updates to management and the board on a monthly basis;
- Backup oversight of operations of the Salt Lake City office;
- Drive development strategies for special campaigns and coalitions.
About Wildlands Network
Wildlands Network is a 501c3 nonprofit founded in 1991 by a group of visionary conservationists who were concerned that existing land protection efforts in North America would not sufficiently meet the needs of our continent’s tremendous biodiversity, particularly large, wide-roaming species like grizzly bears and wolves. Our mission is to reconnect, restore, and rewild North America so that life in all its diversity can thrive. We design and advocate for large-scale wildlife corridors, identify key places to install wildlife road crossings to help species navigate busy highways, and push for the return of top carnivores to ecosystems across the continent.
The ideal candidate is a leader and steady manager with at least seven years in direct fundraising and management in the conservation nonprofit community; experience with budgeting and finance; and a passion for and familiarity with wildlands and wildlife conservation. Knowledge of the philanthropic communities in Salt Lake City and Seattle is strongly preferred.
- Five years of experience in nonprofit fundraising;
- Demonstrated success in managing, directing and motivating teams
- Strong project management skills
- Proven track record raising money through a variety of sources;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to form positive and productive relationships with funders and with Wildlands Network staff;
- The ability to train and coach other staff to raise proficiencies in all types of fundraising techniques;
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, handle deadlines, determine and juggle priorities, and work in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrated ability to write clear and compelling membership fundraising letters, foundation proposals, and case statements;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office (especially Word and Excel), the web, social media, and email;
- Experience with a constituent management database, specifically Salsa, Donor Perfect or similar CRM software, including processing information, creating campaigns, pulling reports, and analyzing results;
- Experience with data-driven outreach and fundraising strategies, such as engagement ladders, targeted marketing, and audience-based communication; and editing and design software;
- Experience coordinating fundraising efforts with a board of directors;
- Experience with creating and managing a budget and understanding of nonprofit finances.
Hours, Travel and Compensation
Full-time executive position based in our Salt Lake City office with the expectation of some evening and weekend work as called for.
This position will involve regular and consistent travel to Seattle, other Wildlands Networks offices and other locations in the United States to meet with donors and foundations.
Competitive salary with medical/dental stipend, self-funded retirement account with TIAA-‐CREF, and generous vacation/leave benefits.
How to Apply
Applications due by Jan. 31. Please send resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in the subject line of email. No phone calls.
Wildlands Network’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, sex, age, color, national origin, citizenship status, religion, physical or mental disability, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.